The AppData folder is a hidden folder in Windows that contains application settings, files, and data unique to each application on your computer. This includes all the data specific to your Windows OS user profile.
Table of Contents
The AppData folder is located in the following directory:
- Windows 10: C:\Users<username>\AppData
- Windows 8 and 8.1: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming
- Windows 7: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local
The AppData folder has three subfolders:
- Local: This folder stores application settings and data that are specific to the current user and computer.
- LocalLow: This folder stores application settings and data that are specific to the current user, but are not affected by user profile changes.
- Roaming: This folder stores application settings and data that are shared across all computers that the user uses.
Some of the files and folders that you might find in the AppData folder include:
- Application configuration files: These files store the application’s settings, such as the user interface, preferences, and shortcuts.
- Cache files: These files store temporary data that is used by the application.
- Cookies: These files are used by web browsers to store website preferences and login information.
- Saved games: These files store the progress of games that the user has been playing.
- User profiles: These files store the user’s personal settings, such as the desktop wallpaper and screen saver.
You should not need to access the AppData folder very often. However, there are some cases where you might need to do so, such as:
- To troubleshoot an application that is not working properly.
- To move or delete an application’s settings and data.
- To back up an application’s settings and data.
If you do need to access the AppData folder, you can do so by following these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Click on the View tab.
- Check the box next to Hidden items.
- The AppData folder will now be visible.
You can also access the AppData folder by typing the following in the Run dialog box:
This will open the Roaming subfolder of the AppData folder. To see the other subfolders, you can click on the AppData folder in the address bar.